Sunday, July 07, 2019

Sunday Funday: Splish Splash


I love the water.  I love the feel of silky water against my skin.  I love the feeling of total weightlessness, of floating.  Coolness on a hot day.  We grew up around water.  Dad had a ski boat. Mom couldn't swim, so insisted my sister and I take lessons.  

Washington Park Swim Center
All summer from preschool through lifeguard training, Mom would take us to the local swimming pool weekday mornings for lessons, and then return after lunch for the 25 cent I-take-lessons-discount-swim in the afternoons.  Our summer lives existed around the smell of chlorine.

We were simple people in that a sprinkler was the best of fun when the pool wasn't available for us.  Or we'd just get the hose out.  Cold water was all it took (and you could take a long cold drink in the middle of a game!).  

I had a plastic wading pool for my grandboy.  When he was two, he started swim lessons.  Oh how he loves the water.  He would stay in the water until his fingers and lips turned blue, and then whine about getting out.

Portland has a bunch of wading pools in our parks.  Fun with fountains shooting up for the kids to play.  Buckets filling with water and pouring our over heads.  Who doesn't love those?  And the city parks and rec have a bunch of indoor and outdoor pools--indoor for year-round swimming and outdoor for neighborhood fun.  

Evergreen Airport Waterpark
But the BEST are the cool water parks!  Oh My!  Hampster tubes to slide down into a big splash!  Big pools.  Smaller pools.  Swim pools.  Splash pools.  Slides.  stairs.  A whole trail of goodies to add to the splash.  Evergreen Airport in McMinnville, OR has converted an airplane into a huge hampster-tube slide.  Oh My! 
Evergreen


Super Waterpark
Admittedly it does look simple compared to some of the waterparks out there, but it's not far away and not super expensive.
 
(borrowing from lyrics...) So pack up the babies / And grab the old ladies / And everyone goes / 'Cause everyone knows
It's Summer!  Get thee to the Sunday Funday pool!

And so it goes
peace~~~


No comments: