Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Nostalgia Runs Sweet


Today my big sister turns 71.  

Yesterday I reconnected with my best friend from college with whom I haven't talked in over 25 years.  I recently had lunch with my former neighbors and boss of 30 years ago.  Over the past few years I have been hanging with some of my high school friends with whom I had not seen in 50 years.

Last year my sister and my husband turned 70.  I had forgotten that they would be another year older when their birthdays came around and had to ask my partner how old he was now so I could remember how old my sister would be. My elder son will be 50 in the new year; my younger son 48.  My grandboy was 16 last July, driving cars and taking college classes.  

Sesame Street began 50 years ago.  The Simpsons began 30 years ago.  Episodes of I love Lucy have never been off the air since the program started in 1951.

And today my big sister turns 71.

My family used to go camping and boating all year round.  I remember on some of the hottest days in the world we were camping on the Colorado River.  Temps were in the 120s by day and chilled down to the high 90s at night.  And the river was right there for us to dip into and cool off.  My sister and I each would take a friend with us many times.  One time Marcy came along.  One time Cindy.  One time Steve.  Swimming and skiing and riding.  And vacations on the San Joaquin River, with ice cold lemonade while sitting on the dock at New Hope Landing.  Taking the boat out to the levee along the sloughs to play all day on the beaches, exploring the old houses along levee in the evenings behind the Landing.


High school dances, poster parties, football games.  Gosh I loved going to football games, yelling and cheering the team on. And then going to Ozzie's or Shakey's after the game.  It was a badge of honor to return to school on Monday still hoarse from screaming the Friday night before.  Cruising along Central Blvd when there wasn't a game, scoping out the boys.  Picnics and heart breaks and trying new things.  Smoking pot out in the desert with strange new friends.  Driving my '56 VW up and down the hills along the vineyards, the quarter glass or valence window turned in so Cindy and I would get the full wind in our face, pretending we were race drivers.


Seeing old friends for the first time from Internet #41plus as I drove across the states every summer.  Meeting new loves who broke my heart.  Meeting my fella who has been with me for 23 years.  

Working every day of the year while going to college. End-of-Term parties three times a year where, at times, up to 50 people would stop by to help empty that pony keg. Working at two colleges, on four campuses, for six years including fulltime at the university for three, and then a full-time career 26 years at the college. 

And today my big sister turns 71.

Where did time go?  Where did energy go?  Where did those grunts and wheezes come from as I get out of the chair or plop down after a long-standing quilting time?  When did I start going to bed at 11:00 and sleeping in until 8?  

I recently read that nostalgia is the file that smooths out the rough edges of time.  I know there were hurts and arguments and loneliness on the past--many hurts and arguments and loneliness--but I smile as I remember all the times I have lived.  

And I really lived.  Am really living.  Tasting the moments, entering the adventures with open-arms along the journey of my life.

And you know what?  My big sister turns 71 today, this last day of 2019.


And so it goes
peace~~~

No comments: