Wednesday, September 09, 2020

Weird Portland Wednesday: The Mad Hatter


hatsPeople really love to collect stuff. My younger son collects old Atari games. My elder son had a girlfriend who collected salt and pepper shakers. I went to a cafe at the coast that collected PEZ dispensers. There were hundreds lining above the windows on a shelf that ran the whole seating area. My mother-in-law collected...oh hell she collected a bunch of stuff. My mom liked wooden things. 

At one time, I wanted to collect something but couldn't make up my mind what I wanted. I thought inkwells would be good since I do calligraphy. They didn't excite me. I thought maybe shakers, but they didn't really me. I found I loved old little pitcher-pots--these antique creamer pots (that came with a sugar bowl, so I had to take both) made of interesting glass. So, I have some of those. And I fell in love with these great little teapots made in China out of Yixing clay. They are so cool. 

So yeah people like to collect things. We  here in Portland are no different. One such collector is Lu Ann Trotebas, who has a really large collection of hats. In fact, she has the largest collection of hats in the United States.  She says, "I collect hats!  My passion for collecting hats is in the desire to preserve hat fashions and their cultural heritage before these precious, historical gems disappear with the passage of time." (https://www.thehatmuseum.com/about-the-director)

The curated collection is often used for research by theatre companies, colleges and universities, television companies, and more from around the world.  

This museum has a 90-minute tour that takes you through the house and leaves you with an incredible depth of knowledge about toppers. Twenty-two hundred of them. And if you select a fashion period, Ms Trotebas will give you a great deal of information about the period and the fashions that go with along with the era. 

An internationally known Hat Museum.  Who knew? But here it is, helping to keep Portland weird.

And so it goes
peace~~~ 



 

No comments: