Friday, October 09, 2020

The More Things Change...

We are over eight months into the Coronavirus pandemic here in the United States, almost a year worldwide. So far, over one million people have died, with 214,000+ of them within in the United States--the largest number of deaths from one area. Brazil is the second largest group with over 150,000. And the numbers are rising most places daily.

Our lives have changed drastically. In our house, we have been staying-in-place since mid-March. My fella has been working from home. We go out only for essentials, like groceries and fabric (it's an essential, right?).  Fortunately we like to hang around with one another because we are together 24/7.

Faces of some of the 200,000 plus deaths in the US
Oregon does not have high numbers of cases compared to some states like California and New York, but most of our counties are are still under Phase One. Our governor is being very cautious in opening up the state. So far we have had 600 deaths from over 35,000 cases. While we are one of the lowest states in the nation, our numbers are starting to spike again mostly due to Labor Day celebrations and college parties.

Even with Phase One opening up restaurants and hair dressers and other shops, Doug and I are hesitant to jump out into the world too fast. A hair cut for me is not essential, so I am easily living with COVID-hair. Because of my neuropathy, I can't cut my toenails (I end up cutting my toes!). I finally broke down and had a pedicure. 

We make most our meals on the stove at home, with the once-in-a-while dinner brought home from pre-ordered food. We are not interested in trying to eat in a restaurant--not essential. I miss traveling around but I am making it through okay. Grocery shopping is every Friday morning at 7 am (a time originally designated for old people and people with disability). And the big WOW every Friday on the way home: Starbucks. 

The safety measures to get around have changed. I believe in them. I've been to the dentist three times since they have reopened. I'm not adverse to having my temperature taken nor questions asked about my health. I have no problem wearing a mask. I've been making some that are cute and fun. My kids and family are well-stocked in masks.

And today the big return to another universe is that I invited my house cleaner to come into the house and clean. Yes, it became essential. I used to think I kept a pretty good house. Apparently only because she came here and did it :)  She's wearing a mask and gloves and spraying disinfectant everywhere. We were going to be gone for the day but my fella had to work on a last-minute project. So we stayed away and let her do her thing. I sewed. My fella worked. It worked out okay.

While everything is upside down and backwards. While we have to think more to move around in order to fix problems. While we are careful and take care of one another. While all this is going on, we have some normal stuff in there as well. We still brush our teeth and bathe, make the bed, and feed the pets. We still keep the yard up. My fella still plays music. I still sew. But while we are doing these normal things, we are kind of doing them differently. 

Stay safe
Take care of yourself and your neighbors
peace~~~

No comments: