Friday, August 21, 2020

What's on My Design Board Today?

No one can call this pandemic  horror a good thing. No one can say it's "not bad." But there are some side effects of staying-in-place that are unexpected. I'm enjoying having my fella home all day, working upstairs. And one of the outcomes of the pandemic is that I have tons of time to sew. Well, truth is as a retired person, I always had plenty of time to sew, but this staying-in-place gives me even more. No lunches out. No wild adventures. Simply staying at home and filling my time between sewing projects.

I have many projects going. I think I am jumping from one  project to another so I won't get bored. I finished the above quilt for donation this week. I'm calling it Green Starz. I'm sure someone can use it. What else do I have going on?

This quilt will be a Quilt of Valor.  The mission of Quilts of Valor Foundation is to cover service members and veterans touched by war with comforting and healing quilt. QOVs must be presented rather than simply sent to the veteran. I am making this quilt for my brother-in-law, Andy.  He served in Vietnam. COVID-19 and distance make this presentation difficult, so my niece will gather her family together in Houston, Texas and present it to her father. Hopefully we will be able to come along with ZOOM.

I also finished this week 30 new masks for a friend.  Her father owns a nursery and they wanted masks for the people who work the fields and sales. Each of us--my friend, her granny and I--are to make 30 masks each. Once I finished those, I have continued to make new masks.  Some are simple while others have a metal nose piece to stop that steamy glasses event.

Earlier this summer I started a new king-sized quilt for our bed.  I like changing the quilt with the changing seasons and we had only three big ones. While we Oregonians joke we have two seasons: FallWinterSpring and Summer I need, you know, four :) So I have been putting these blocks together all the month of July and now it's time to bring it around to finishing. I have three of seven columns together at this point

Also doing a bit each day is the project I am working on for a woman in Lebanon, Oregon.  She wanted to make a blanket using quilted squares that are crocheted

squares
together. I'm making her squares and she is doing the crocheting. Since it will be a queen-sized blanket, I need to make 200 blocks/squares.  I'm down to 80 more. 

I also completed a job I started many years ago as a Christmas gift for my daughter-in-law. She had a red accessories kitchen, so I thought why not make her some pretty

red hot pads
scrappy red hot pads! Somehow I had them all finished except the borders and it never happened.  Found them this past week and finished them. Easy peasy job.

And last but not least, I am working on a new quilt top for my younger niece. She and her son recently were able to move out of my sister's house into their own space. I realized I never made her a quilt. Oh I made one for her baby boy when he was born and

one for his grandparents, but none for her. Therefore, I am working on a nice couch quilt to celebrate her new place! Only 250 Half Square Triangles (HSTs).  They are all ironed and ready to be trimmed. And do you see that Quilt of Valor back behind. It is waiting it's turn to have borders attached :) That happened yesterday. Now it's waiting in the queue to be quilted.

That's pretty much what I have hanging around. Waiting to get started is a major repair for a quilt that a friend's pup decided to eat and another friend wants some hot pads and masks. They are in line for next week...or the one after!

And so it goes
peace~~~

No comments: