Sunday, February 08, 2009

Tough Week; Instant Gratification

Whew was this ever a tough week. I struggled each day to stay within my point allowance. I went over some days, under others. And all along, I was struggling. And on top of that, I was sloshing with excess fluid. Fluid. Fluid. Fluid. My joy LOL Some days up to 12 pounds of extra. Most days only five or six.

I have been battling excess fluid for the past few weeks. I knew I was holding more fluid than my normal 3 pounds and it was not showing the loss I knew I had at the scales. So Thursday I decided to take the highest level of diuretics allowed me later in the evening. Yes, I was up multiple times during the night. Yes, I forgot and flushed most times (if it's brown, flush it down; if it's yellow let it mellow). But I was unsloshed by morning. Eight pounds of unsloshable fluid gone. It just feels so free to be able to bend my legs and ankles and wiggle my fingers easily. And that showed up at the scales: 2 pounds down. This week's pic shows some difference, I think. Either that or it is wishful thinking :)

On another note, I am having eye surgery on Thursday. I have a bad cataract in my left eye. It is causing me to not drive at night comfortably. Nor at dusk and dawn. I can't wear my glasses to see at a distance, so I drive without glasses on. Watch television that way, too. I have them on now, so don't worry about your safety ;) So Thursday morning I am having the lens removed and a new one installed. They are going to take care of my astigmatism at the same time. My right eye isn't bad with distance nor astigmatism, so I won't need glasses for distance, only reading. But I won't be able to read for a few days, not comfortably anyway.

I don't know if I have mentioned but I had my knee replaced two summers ago. My body decided it needed to protect itself after the surgery, so I built up gobs of scar tissue. A second surgery cleared that up...for a bit anyway. The result is that I still can't bend my knee more than about 90-100 degrees. My knee doesn't go straight all the way, either. I'm happy with the replacement. I have so much stamina and have no arthritis pain. Yeah, life is good.

Life is good except when I am in a chair too low and can't get up. Now this is a sight no one should miss. It is the funniest things and I always end up laughing my ass off. On Saturday I was tired and had on stockings. They kept slipping on the hardwood floor, so I couldn't edge my leg under me as I tried to stand up. I asked Doug to help me. Unfortunately I continued to slide and ended up on the floor. Now right away I am already laughing. How the hell can I get up off the floor? When we had carpet, I could rest my good knee on the floor, quickly put pressure on my fake knee to shift my left leg bent under me. I would then stretch out my fake knee leg and by pushing with my left leg and the top of my right foot, I could eek my way standing. I always would yell "TaDa!" when I got up.

This time, I tried to do this, but with the hardwood floors, it was too hard to put any pressure on my fake knee. I even rolled over and put a folded quilt under my knees, but it was too painful. I tried, but couldn't get up. So I looked around and thought of the stairs! I scooched my way over to the stairs but could not lift myself up the steps. I sat by the steps for a bit, thinking I might need to have my laptop brought to me and a bed pan...live by the foot of the stairs. And then it came to me: the front porch steps.

So I scooched to the door, unlocked and opened it, scooching back and forth. Doug was trying to help but I finally asked him to move please. I scooched outside on the porch and made my way down the stairs. And when I hit that ledge and the first step, I grabbed the handrail and pulled myself up. I of course flung my arms in the air and yelled, "TaDa!"

Ha! You really gotta laugh, eh? So the beat goes on, all the while laughing! peace~~~
.

3 comments:

Myra said...

Oh my Dori! You and your escapades - who knew you could have such an adventure right inside your own home!? (I probably have a few like that I could tell on myself) Congrats on your continued life change.

Debi said...

Dori, I am glad you are okay. Great work on the additional pounds lost, I can see it in the photo. Kisses, debi

Gari in AL said...

Congrats on the 2#, keep up the good work. And I am really impressed with the way you delt/deal with misfortune. That must be the Oregon temprement.