Monday, September 28, 2015

What Do You Believe?


photo by Etsy photographer bomobob, Montreal, QC, Canada
 Fall is all around us and the newest political rounds are starting to heat up. Listening to "debates" between presidential hopefuls is a fascinating study of poor communication. It all just started and I am already tired of listening to people adamantly state their own points of view by slinging mud and hatred toward those who hold a different opinion. I am tired of the hostility between sides. It seems we are constantly divided within our communities, in our neighborhoods, our nation...all because we are self-focused, poor listeners, poor communicators.

Since no one else is going to do it, let us become the uniters, not the dividers. Embrace differences. Learn from one another.
 

Here is what I believe: 
I believe that I can be friends with people who don't believe the same as I do.

I believe that everyone deserves respect for his or her ideals, values and opinions.

I believe that in a democracy we have the right and the responsibility to question authority, and the very fact we do it strengthens that democracy.

I believe a person who questions authority may be even more patriotic than the person who follows unquestioningly.

I believe that two people who love one another should be allowed to marry regardless of their gender, race, sexual orientation or ethnicity.

I believe that men and women should have the right to make decisions about their own bodies.

I believe that war is never the answer.

I believe that the scent of lavender could very well calm us all down, ending wars and arguments and sleepless nights.
 

I believe in magic.
 

I believe in love.

I believe that love and magic are connected.

I believe that journalists must be focused on change because of the nature of the press: think why and how newspapers were first created in this country in order to create and persuade us of social change.

I believe we should all take that first step to our futures on faith.

I believe that racism and prejudice and discrimination are the true evils of a society.

I believe that eating broccoli will keep me alive forever.

I believe that global warming will eventually bring us to extinction. 


I believe that car manufacturers purposefully installed turn signals in order to indicate lane changes and turns; therefore, drivers should actually use them.

I believe that we are all connected in some way.

I believe in karma.

I believe we should take care of one another, not turning our heads when things ugly happen.

I believe in the human spirit, in the greatness of people, in humanity.

I believe that I love my country just as much as the people who have multiple flags on display.

I believe that we can change the world and that one person makes a difference.

I believe that everyone deserves a second chance at some time in his or her life.

I believe that if you hate your job, you should quit.

I believe that children should be able to retain their innocence for as long as it is useful to them.

I believe we should take risks in relationships, in business, in ourselves rather than sit complacently.

I believe that a child's creativity should never be squelched, that no one should be forced to color inside the lines, and spontaneous made-up songs should be encouraged.

I believe that the joys of menopause have been exaggerated.

I believe the world needs bean-counters, dreamers and planners in equal proportions.

I believe that a beautiful quilt or painting or poem or photograph adds positive energy into the atmosphere. 


I believe that no one ever actually wins a war.

I believe the saltandsandandsea smell of the ocean is the most best most wonderful most calming most invigorating smell ever created.  

I believe that when in doubt, we should twirl....

peace~~

3 comments:

Jacqui said...

I believe that everything happens for a reason, be it good or bad. I also believe that the stars aligned, brought you and so many other wonderful people into my life in the same venue and you all made massive differences in my life. For that, and for your never ending friendship, I am grateful :)

Island Woman MJ said...

I believe in your believing! It's a one on one revolution and we all need to partake. Well done!

Anonymous said...

We should all definitely twirl; every day at 3:00 PM. Just stop and twirl.