Wednesday, January 08, 2020

Quilty Stuff: What's Been on My Design Board?


I have been busy in the quilting studio and in front of my sewing machine but now Christmas has come and gone and I'm ready to start some new projects.  

Some of the Christmas gifts I made this year were for family and a few friends. 
  • Kiddo Placemats:  All three great nephews and niece received a placemat for their breakfast.  I think they turned out so cute.  Here's Kayden enjoying his waffles.  I love personalized placemats for kids.  We didn't grow up using placemats and I always wanted them.  Finally got some for the grandies :)

  • Microwave Bowl Cozies:  These are so fun and easy to make.  I'll post the pattern next week. I made a couple for the house--kept them because one corner of the first one wasn't sewn well so I couldn't give it away.  And then I made one larger, thinking it needed to be.  But it didn't.  So I kept them :)  My fella loves them!  I made one for all four nieces.  Here's Ami enjoying hers. 


  • Coaster:  I made a batch of coasters and gave them to some of my friends when we got together for an annual luncheon.  Last time I made them cozies...perhaps that is what my nieces will receive next year!  I also gave one each to my sons and my sister.  It was fun to make these scrappy coasters.  I used lonely little spare blocks I had hanging around.  Now they all have homes and are happily absorbing fluids that are dripping down the sides of mugs and glasses and cups. 

  • I made pillowcases for my nephews.  Nathan is a huge University of Oregon fan, so made him a Ducks case.  Danny graduated from Western Illinois University where he played football, so made him a purple and golden case.  And Ope graduated from NYU Medical School, so his was purple and white.  


Richard's Quilt
Thre was one last thing I made for a gift.  I made my good friend a quilt.  Boy howdy was he surprised.  He's such a good guy, he deserves every gift out there. Except ice cream. 

I didn't make as many quilty gifts this year.  I was busy with student and clients quilting.  So not as much was made; just enough :)


Magic Boxes
So now what?  I have two projects I am currently working on.  My Winter quilting class is making Magic Boxes, a free quilt design from Donna Jordan of Jordan Fabrics.  It is a fun string pattern design that, when put together, makes these fun squares.

BOM
The second project is a Block of the Month project through Facebook.  I created the overall quilt pattern using different sized blocks that are on Marcia Holmes' website Quilter's Cache.  In December 2020 we will put it all together. Here's our first block.  It's called "Another Star."

Both projects will take some time to complete, so I will be working on other quilty stuff all year long.

And so it goes
peace~~~



2 comments:

BethE said...

It all looks amazing! I need to start sewing again!

loulee said...

You made some wonderful gifts.
I do like those magic boxes.