Sunday, August 10, 2014

We Get By With a Little Help From Our Friends

A young woman who belongs to my Weight Watcher's group has been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.  So, a couple of the women have started putting together a care package of things she might like at the hospital.  When I heard about it, I volunteered to give her a lap quilt.  When my son was in the hospital for chemotherapy, he would at times get very chilly and wanted his quilt to curl up with.  And then he would get hot...chilly...hot from the cancer fevers.  Unfortunately I have been away for close to three months tending to family things and have not been able to sew...

Every winter I host a Adopt-a-Family Project (AAF) for the kids of students at my college who are part of a giving tree.  Many friends from an online quilting forum help by sending me quilts for the kids. It started slowly but after two years we were able to give every child (up to age 19) a quilt. Last year we had gathered nearly 60 quilts.  I am able to accomplish this by making quilts all year long and packing them away.  For every three charity quilts I make, two go to the AAF project (the third goes to Project Linus).  That stash for next Christmas is where I found a good-sized lap quilt for my Weight Watcher's friend.


It seemed to be a cheerful quilt, with lovely flowered backing.  Not too young and yet young enough.  I hope it brings her a bit of joy and warmth.

Now that I am home, it is time to rebuild the children's stash of quilts.
peace~~~

1 comment:

ywilma said...

Now you have a comment. lol