Friday, February 17, 2012

I Have This Little Project...

An old high school friend sent me some quilt blocks that her grandmother had made many years ago. She asked if I would be willing to put together a quilt to donate to someone. She warned me the blocks were not particularly attractive, but if anyone could pull something interesting off...well she believed in me.

The truth is, the blocks are rather dreary. I kept thinking about them, rearranging them in my head, and returned them to their box. It seemed that no matter what I did, they were still drab and dreary, creating a drab quilt top. I love '30s fabric, but these...not so much.

The problem for me was the size of the blocks (19 inches--I couldn't get past the huge squares!) and the colors (green and beige/green and orange/green and steel grey). Plus some blocks are green/whatever matching and other alternate, so making a large single checker board was impossible.

I was stumped, so I toss a cry for HELP on the Quilting Bee on Delphi Forums. Many great suggestions, but the one that hit home was working with Ricky Tims' Convergence idea. And I just so happen to have a personally autographed copy of Tims' book!

Over the next few weeks I will be working on this quilt top project. Let's see how it turns out!

peace~~

No comments: