Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Tattooed Tuesday

I do love tattoos :)  I love the stories they tell about the person who is wearing this art.  I love the way they change as our skin changes--soften somehow as we age because we soften just a little as we age.

When I was a senior in high school, I used to sit in front of the mirror every morning and draw a daisy on my cheek with eye liner and shadow.  It just seemed like the right thing to do.  I was a bit of a hippie and a daisy was a great symbol.  You can't really see it in this picture because it just looks like a pimple or something.  But trust me, it is a daisy.  I wanted to have that daisy etched permanently on my cheek.  I also wanted to be a stewardess, but that's another story.  I decided against the tattoo.  Well, actually the opportunity just never came up.

I recently told that story to my elder son and he said that it was probably the best decision I could have made, that having a daisy tattooed on my cheek would have totally changed my life.  He thought I would never have been hired at the college, would never have been able to buy a house on the salary of a McDonald's employee, never would have traveled all over the states nor met my fella.  I think he is just silly.  I still would have traveled...

It wasn't until I was in my early 40s that I actually got a tattoo.  I told a friend I wanted one on my inside ankle and I wanted daisies.  She drew up a little sketch and TaDa!  It is exactly what I had the artist put on my ankle.  

It was late fall when I had it etched and every time I took off the black tights at the end of the day I would be a little surprised at first.  And then I would grin!  I still love it 20 years later.

I think tattoos say something about you that is unique.  I wanted to get a second one that expressed a major life change but I just never got around to it.  It was quite simple in design, like me, and quite complicated in structure, like me.  Maybe someday :)  Or maybe it will be a simple little daisy on my cheek.  You never know.

peace~~~


1 comment:

Michele Bilyeu said...

Fabulous tale of you and your daisy. And I do rather like how you sum up yourself as being both simple and complicated. Well said, and well done. Now, I'd love a 'road babe' explanation..your love of traveling? Sweetheart on the road without any rage? Met your babe while on the road? Oh, I know you ran right into him, daisies and all ;-)