Friday, October 10, 2008

This morning was this week's weigh in. I attend an early morning meeting--7 am--so I can weigh in and not come late to school. And I selected Fridays so that if I am latish due to traffic and such I won't have to rush to classes.

Now I get up every morning at 5:30 so I can catch the 6:45 bus. It gets me to campus by 8 am. Some mornings later...some mornings earlier. On days I drive, I get to sleep in until 6. Those are the best days :) So imagine my confusion on Fridays. I drive but still have to leave by 6:45 in order to get to the Weight Watcher meeting at 7:00. So I keep sleeping in until 6 and wonder why I am always late to the meeting! Apparently it is too early in the morning for me to figure that out. This morning I woke up early and had plenty of time to arrive at the meeting on time. But of course I didn't. Left same time as usual. How does that work?

Anyway, every evening before I weigh in, I get a little anxious that I won't have a weight loss. I mean I'm following the program, eating well, not making interesting choices that make me go, "Hmmmm," and yet I think I won't lose anything. I am not sure why. Perhaps it is because a few years ago I didn't lose anything while following the program. My body just said, "Nope not this time...not right now." But I faithfully go and I faithfully weigh in.

One of my problems is water retention. My body has always had the capacity to hold a bunch of fluid. I mean, I'm talking up to 20 pounds of fluid. When I was pregnant with my elder son, they had to hospitalize me in order to get rid of the fluid. That was a loss of 50 pounds. That's a huge bunch of fluid. But my day-to-day fluid is often 10 pounds, normally just around five. I can feel when it starts. My ankles and fingers swell so that it appears I have little piggy feet and fat fingers. I felt this starting this week. While riding home on the bus one afternoon, my ankles and feet started swelling.

So, I was not surprised when my weigh in had a .6 gain. I was not disappointed as much as resigned. Yeah a little disappointed but not enough to ruin my 14 pound loss. And that first flush of loss was of course fluid...but a nice bit of fluid for sure.

So I am up .6 pounds. But go look at my weekly pictures and you can see that I have continued to lose this week. It just isn't showing up on the scales yet. This weekly picture thingy is awesome!

I am going to post a good recipe now and again just because the recipe is good. First up will be Macaroni & Cheese. Yummy comfort food; low points :)

1 comment:

Debi said...

I know what you mean, the meds I take for my liver makes me retain water also.